Checker Box - Part 2

    Author: Rolland Genre: »
    Rating

    In my previous post, I began a experimental project of a checkerboard box. In that post, I left with the slabs of the checkerboard cube ready to be glued.
    

    Checkerboard Box Ready to Glue
    It was not really ready to glue because the surface of each slab was not smooth enough to be glued. So I needed a way to sand each slab but I do not have a sander. So I needed to fashion a sander. I had a flange that fit on my lathe. And then I bought a couple of items from Home Depot. Here is what I bought and how it came together.

    Flange, Block, and Paper

    My Three Part Sander
    This worked fantastic! Not only was it a variable speed sander, but the paper can be changed easily because it has a sticky back. With this sander made, I was quickly able to make sure each surface was sanded smooth and so the glue would work very good. So, the next step was just that - gluing the slabs to make the checkerboard cube.
    Glued Checkerboard Cube
    Again, using a lot of rubber bands, and a good clamp, the box glued together well. Due to the problems detailed in my previous post, it was a bit crooked in places but the cube overall was basically square.

    After I gave the glue ample time to dry, I turned my box. I think it turned out OK, with the exceptions I have mentioned. I will show some pictures and then mention what I learned in this process.

    Checkerboard Box 1

    Checkerboard Box 2

    Checkerboard Box 3
    Here are some things I learned in this process (also see the instruction in the previous post):

    - It would have helped to have a jig or some sort of box to help glued the box back together. It was pretty hard to get it to glue together square - mine was not square but it was as close as I was going to get it. A jig would help. I would have to think through this to figure this out if I was going to make a better checkerboard box.

    - I figured the sander out later in the process. It would have glued together more square if I had sanded it better.

    - I would have liked to have different colors. The brown and yellow were OK, but I would liked to have either black and white (like ebony and pine - that would have been hard to turn and expensive), or maybe even purple and yellow. Something like that.

    Overall, I learned a lot with this project. The lather-sander alone was worth the project. I was happy how the box turned out. I hope that it has given you inspiration for your own project. Let me know if this has helped you in your turning.

    Blogger templates

    Blogger news

    Blogroll