Checker Pen: Turning Blanks and Making the Pen

    Author: Rolland Genre: »
    Rating

    I have made my blanks, I have prepared my blanks, now it is time to turn them. It is good to know what woods you are using in a project like this so to that if you do mix hardnesses (I am not sure you want to do that) you can be aware of that when turning. It is a little strange turning wood which is hardwood on one end and softwood on the other. Here is the blank after I had it turned down a bit with a rough gouge but not to where it needs to be for the pen.


    I then used a smoothing chisel to get the blanks to the right shape and size.


    Once I got it the shape and size I wanted, I sanded and then finished it. Sorry about the terrible picture.


    Once the blanks were smooth and shiny, I simply pressed the pen together. I use my drill press for my pen press. I just insert a bolt on which I have glued a small piece of wood. You can see it in this picture, even though this picture is terrible.


    I pressed it together and, ta-da, I have a checkered pen.



    Overall, this was a fun exercise. I like the idea of working with multiple wood. I have to find a better color combination and a better pattern. I have seen some on the internet but could not find when I want to link to them. If I find them, I will post the link.

    I hope this has been as helpful as it has been fun.

    Blogger templates

    Blogger news

    Blogroll