Fountains and Rollers

    Author: Rolland Genre: »
    Rating

    A couple days ago, I turned my first rollerball pen and fountain pen. They turned out OK but there are somethings I learned and, in the end, I would prefer a different pen kit.

    The pen kit I used was the Jr. Gentlemen's II pen kit. I used a lignum vitae blank, which is a green-colored wood. However, when I turned it, it was not as green as the blank when it started. It is supposed to turn green after turning, and it did a little bit, but I would have liked it better if it was the color found in the picture (click the link above).

    Here are the pictures of my pens. Click each of the images for a larger picture.

    Above is a picture of both pens. My picture taking ability is lacking and I could not capture the true color.



    This picture is the pens with the blank I used. You cannot really tell how different the colors are between the pens and the blank. The pens are essentially brown with some green in it but the blank is nice and green.



    Here is the roller ball with the cap off.



    Here is the fountain pen with the cap off.

    I am not real happy with this kit. One of my greatest disappointments in this pen is that the cap cannot be put on the end of the pen while writing. I knew that without the threaded end cap it was a gamble. I lost. Consequently, when you use these pens, you have to use them without the cap. I am something of a pen enthusiast, even those I have not made, and I like the feel of a pen with the cap on. It makes the pen "weightier" and feels better in the hand. While the tradition of fine pens is to write with the cap off, I like the cap on the back of the pen. These pens are not able to do that. They can't even set on the end of the pen.

    The other disappointment is what I mentioned above: the finished color of the pens. I wanted a nice green pen and these ended up a bland brown color. It is not even a pretty brown.

    Finally, I need to learn to press it together better. I wanted the wood grain on the cap and on the pen to match. I tried to match the grains but since the cap twists on, it is hard to line it up right when pressing the cap (if that does not make sense, that is OK - when you make one you will know what I am talking about).

    So, here is my first attempt at a fine pen. I will continue. In fact, these are the reason I got the lathe. I wanted to make fine pens for other people. I love fine pens and love writing with them. Now I just have to get more practice making them.

    Let me know what you think!

    Blogger templates

    Blogger news

    Blogroll