Square-in-Circle Inlay Project - Part 2

    Author: Rolland Genre: »
    Rating

    In my previous post, I began an inlay project based on this article. This post will show how I prepared to make a bowl with the inlay as part of the bowl. First, I had a scrap of what I believe was maple. I prepared it to be turned (click on the pictures for larger images).



    I am not sure how well it will do with the know in the middle but we shall see. I cut the corners off the piece of scrap, then figured the center and outer circumference because I wanted to make sure I did not take off too much when making the outer edge. I glued the scrap to a smaller scrap that would fit into my SuperNova 2 chuck and then was ready to mount it to the lathe.

    Once I turned the outer edge to be round, I took the project off the lathe and drilled a 1/2" deep hole in the side. I did that after I make sure I found where I wanted the hole (note the lines in the pictures above and below). Using my forstner bit, I made a hole the exact size of the inlay rod. Before I inserted the rod, I drew a line down the side where the corner of the inner core was so I could line it up like I wanted it to be (note the picture above). I then glued the rod into the hole and then clamped it there to make a tight fit. Once the glue dried, I cut the rod off level with the edge of the project.



    For this project, I wanted four inlays so I did this on four places at equal distances around the circle (again, the lines helped with the placement).


    With each inlay glued in at 1/2", that should leave plenty to turn and see the inlay inside and out of the bowl.

    Lessons I learned for the future:

    1. I think thicker piece for the bowl would be nice so that the inlay would end up higher on the project. I am pretty sure these inlays will look like they are at the bottom of the project once it is done. Plus, these inlay rods are pretty big and I would like them to be smaller.

    2. When drilling the holes, I need a better way to hold the project in place. I am not sure my holes were exactly straight. Thus, my inlays may show up being a bit off when I turn them.

    3. When cutting off the rod after the glue in the hole has dried, I need a way to either cut it off straight, or make the end straight after it has been cut off. My point is that the end of the rod was crooked, then I inserted it in the hole and at times it sat crooked in the hole. I would have to clamp it so that it was straight.

    4. Overall, I need to have a way to make sure all items in the project are square/straight/even/whatever.

    My next post will hopefully show the finished product.

    Blogger templates

    Blogger news

    Blogroll